Thursday, June 10, 2010

Keep right except to pass

I learned this mantra at an young age. My family used to travel to the midwest to visit my cousins and we "east coast" cousins would always comment how things moved so slowly in the mid-west. I remember driving on the highway and seeing a sign that said "Keep right except to pass". This sign came back to when I started driving at 17.

In the past xx years I have always had that in mind, when driving on the turnpike, walking on the sidewalk and walking up stairs in the subway.

Why, I ask, are people not remembering this mantra anymore?? Today I was walking on the sidewalk on my lunch break and a man was stopped in the middle, SMACK IN THE MIDDLE of the tree lined street. I mention the tree's because they made it MORE difficult to go around the other pedestrians and the man stopped in the middle of the sidewalk tapping into his iphone, oblivious to what was going on around him.

I turned back after I passed him to see if he had moved on and he had not moved on. I don't know why it makes me so upset right now, more so than any other time. But really I wonder what was so pressing that he had to just stop.

No comments:

Post a Comment