Thursday, October 28, 2010

1 large bag to Goodwill

Yesterday I sorted and dropped one large bag off at Goodwill and I think it feels great. I just needed to share.

I took all of my pants and skirts out my closet. Then took them all off the hangers, then began my sort. I know I was definitely hard to part with skirts I've had since 2005 and have not worn since well.....2005. But I decided yesterday it was time to pass it on and pay it forward to some lucky person shopping at the local Goodwill store (it's always packed with shoppers).

As soon as I sorted and downsized I knew I needed to take the bag right away otherwise I would "re-sort the bag" especially since I now have spare room on my hangers in the closet. I even thought to call a few friends to see if they would want them, which is not a bad idea but I needed to go directly to the store. I really felt that even the faintest review of the skirts might make me rethink my sort.

24 hours later, no regret. I told myself that I should only keep clothes that I actively wear on a year-to-year basis. I did hold on to 3-4 skirts that will probably go the next purge around but I made big progress. Yes there were skirts and pants that I got in foreign countries that held very nice memories but I use my own tip on myself, I took a picture of the item before I placed it in the bag. Now I will always have a keepsake of that great item.

My point is, even for a professional organizer it is difficult to part with things and find the right time even if you know it is now.

T-shirts and pjs are next week's purge project...

1 comment: